In this day and age what do we think of when we say the word Easter? I know that when you walk into a store you see Eggs and dye, baskets and bunnies. These things are all fun and we always have had basket and Easter eggs, but why do we celebrate?
There are two holidays that we celebrate that are the basis of my entire belief. Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus and Easter is to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus. Without either of these events my faith would be in vain.
As good Friday quickly arrives I look at the story of His death, He was Taken and beaten they state that he was beaten beyond recognition, He then had crown of Thorns, these were not just little rose thorns but rather two to three inches long, this crown was then crushed into His scull and blood poured from the wounds on his body.
I think of the pain that my body has felt and it is nothing like what Jesus went through for me and you. I sometimes feel beaten and bruised, kicked and spat upon, and yet this is so minor compare to the pain He would have felt, even though He was fully God He was fully man and therefore He knew pain.
After the Crown of thorns was placed on His head he was draped in a robe of purple and mocked by the people, the same ones that He was about to give His life for. He Then carried His own Cross (probably the cross beam only not the whole thing) to where he would be hung among the murderers and thieves and yet He did it for Me.
When I read this story I am amazed that all I have to do is believe, i look at what Jesus did for me and yet all I have to do is believe. This crazy. But really what it shows me that He cared for me enough to suffer and die for me.
So the question I ask myself is what have I done for Him? How do I show my love and how do i celebrate the Day that He gave His life for mine.
When I was a child my mother would sing the Sandi Patti song Via Dolorosa every Easter, I really love the word of this song.
Down the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem that day
The soldiers tried to clear the narrow street
But the crowd pressed in to see
A Man condemned to die on Calvary
He was bleeding from a beating, there were stripes upon His back
And He wore a crown of thorns upon His head
And He bore with every step
The scorn of those who cried out for His death
I think that it give a picture of what He gave for me, as you celebrate Easter remember what this day is about and what we have because of the gift that Jesus gave us that Day on the cross.
There are two holidays that we celebrate that are the basis of my entire belief. Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus and Easter is to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus. Without either of these events my faith would be in vain.
As good Friday quickly arrives I look at the story of His death, He was Taken and beaten they state that he was beaten beyond recognition, He then had crown of Thorns, these were not just little rose thorns but rather two to three inches long, this crown was then crushed into His scull and blood poured from the wounds on his body.
I think of the pain that my body has felt and it is nothing like what Jesus went through for me and you. I sometimes feel beaten and bruised, kicked and spat upon, and yet this is so minor compare to the pain He would have felt, even though He was fully God He was fully man and therefore He knew pain.
After the Crown of thorns was placed on His head he was draped in a robe of purple and mocked by the people, the same ones that He was about to give His life for. He Then carried His own Cross (probably the cross beam only not the whole thing) to where he would be hung among the murderers and thieves and yet He did it for Me.
When I read this story I am amazed that all I have to do is believe, i look at what Jesus did for me and yet all I have to do is believe. This crazy. But really what it shows me that He cared for me enough to suffer and die for me.
So the question I ask myself is what have I done for Him? How do I show my love and how do i celebrate the Day that He gave His life for mine.
When I was a child my mother would sing the Sandi Patti song Via Dolorosa every Easter, I really love the word of this song.
Down the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem that day
The soldiers tried to clear the narrow street
But the crowd pressed in to see
A Man condemned to die on Calvary
He was bleeding from a beating, there were stripes upon His back
And He wore a crown of thorns upon His head
And He bore with every step
The scorn of those who cried out for His death
I think that it give a picture of what He gave for me, as you celebrate Easter remember what this day is about and what we have because of the gift that Jesus gave us that Day on the cross.
Comments
Post a Comment