The Next few weeks are going to be crazy, this is a crazy time of year anyways, but on top of that Laurie is having major Surgery, so we will be down in Seattle for that. My mom was very nice and booked a room down at the camlin so that I will have a place to shower and nap, while Laurie is in the Hospital. Due to her disabilities we are required to have someone with her most of the time, so I will be there to make sure she has what she needs, my mom will be coming down some so that I can have some breaks.
This is a big step for us and our house as most of you know Laurie has lived with me for almost twenty years and lately it has become very difficult for me to constantly care for her, so we have made a decisions that after this surgery she will be going to a rehab center where they can help with the care that she will need. I am using this time as a stepping block to getting her into a assisted living community. I am having a hard time as, she is part of my family and I have cared for her for a long time, though I know that this is the best for both of us.
On the day in 10th grade when Laurie came into my life as more than just the girl in band that everyone made fun of, Changed the course of my life, I had not idea that doing what my parents always taught me by caring for though less fortunate than me, would lead me to where I am at today, She is my friend and she is my family, though she is also my child. We have fought through so much and my heart breaks as I see her life becoming more dark and secluded. I will always be there for Laurie no matter if she is physically living with me or not. This is so huge and I am not sure how these things will continue to play out.
As for the surgery she is having it is going to be a very hard recovery. she will not be able to put any weight on her left foot for at least 6 weeks and she will not be able to bear weight on her right for at least 2 weeks. her full recovery will take more than a year, this is why she will have to go to a care facility, as I am not able to help her move or bathe because of my shoulder. I am praying that she will handle this and not have issues with being away from home.
I am trying to figure out how to make Christmas special for her, she will be in the care center during Christmas so I want her to know that it is still special. I decorated for Christmas at our house yesterday so that she can enjoy it before surgery and we will be spending two days in Seattle before her surgery so that we can enjoy the city at Christmas, as this is one of our traditions. I hope that these things will help her be encouraged as she goes through this surgery.
I think I am more worried about her than she is, any of you who are parents understand, I feel as though it is my child going through this and that I am sending my child away. I know that is not how it really is but it is how I am feeling. She has taught me so much and even though she is not able to do the things for me that I can do for her, she has done little things for me during each of my surgeries and I know in her own way she does worry about me.
So this will be a different Christmas,but I am sure that it will be good not matter what I worry about.
I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas not matter where you are.
Comments
Post a Comment