A Babies first Breath

The most amazing thing in the world is to feel a baby take it's very first breath as they enter the world. Yesterday I had the privilege of helping a little one enter the world. He is a beautiful perfect baby, and truly has one of the strongest moma's I have ever had the joy of helping through labor. It was such a reminder that I love delivering babies. I can't believe that I have the joy of being part of such a special day for a family.

As the care provider it does put a lot of stress on me, as I have to encourage and make some difficult decisions during labor and delivery, this one reminded me of how important prayer is when it comes to birth, there were many moments that I had to ask for wisdom and really believe that God was leading us as we went through the labor. This mommy wanted a natural, vaginal birth more than any other mom I have ever helped, she fought hard for her baby and endured through some very difficult days of bringing forth her little bundle of joy.

It reminded me of no matter what God created the woman's body to give birth, in this day and age women are told that they can't do it without medication and that you must allow them to use induction and other interventions or you are stupid and uneducated. For the most part I believe that most main stream hospital deliveries cause more issues that they prevent or help. Each time we intervene and act as humans instead of trusting that God created the body and that it knows what to do,we are actually putting the woman and the baby at risk. Elective Induction is NOT FDA approved using pitocin or any other medication. Pitocin is only FDA approved for post-partum hemorrhage, and therefore every time it is used to induce or augment labor it is being used "off label" there are reason that the FDA has not approved it for inductions, though it is used every day thousands of times. Every time it is used it increases the chance of fetal distress and Cesarean section by 50%, it also can cause failure to progress because it is not natural and the body fights against itself, (you can cause contractions but that does not mean that you can cause dilation.) The use of medication to induce or augment labor also causes more extreme pain than natural labor, and typically women are not able to deal with the contractions. therefore women then get an epidural which doubles their Cesarean rate again.

My question is why does anyone women allow these risk to be part of  her birth? doctors will tell women that they don't need to suffer or it is fine to induce or have the baby early. Every day that your baby stays in the womb it is better. The lungs will continue to develop and labor clears the lungs and prepares them for breathing air rather than amniotic fluid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Elective induction of labor is defined as the initiation of labor in a pregnant individual who has no medical indications for induction. Since the available data are inadequate to evaluate the benefits-to-risks considerations, Pitocin is not indicated for elective induction of labor. (This is from the official drug information from the FDA)


Adverse Reactions

The following adverse reactions have been reported in the mother:
Anaphylactic reactionPremature ventricular contractions
Postpartum hemorrhagePelvic hematoma
Cardiac arrhythmiaSubarachnoid hemorrhage
Fatal afibrinogenemiaHypertensive episodes
NauseaRupture of the uterus
Vomiting
 
The following adverse reactions have been reported in the fetus or neonate:
Due to induced uterine motility:Due to use of oxytocin in the mother:
BradycardiaLow Apgar scores at five minutes
Premature ventricular contractions and other arrhythmiasNeonatal jaundice
Permanent CNS or brain damageNeonatal retinal hemorrhage
Fetal death
Neonatal seizures have been reported with the use of Pitocin.

 
 
I don not believe that home birth is right for every women, I do think you need to be educated about the real facts about what your doctor is telling you, rather than following blindly just because a doctor said so. Doctors are humans they follow what the latest trend is and they don't really know you and who you are.  A doctor spends an average of 10 minutes of the prenatal appointments with the patient, the rest of the time the woman will see the MA or Nurse, they don't get to know what you want, and even if they ask they won't remember because they see so many patients and in most cases your doctor won't even be the one to deliver your baby.

I do believe in midwifery and the natural un-messed with birth process, but as I said before this is not for everyone but you need to educate yourself rather than just going with the flow. Our local hospital here has one of the highest Cesarean section rates of any hospital in the US. they also have 90% intervention rate, this being that only 10% of births there happen as God intended them.
Many people say that you are stupid to deliver outside of the hospital and all natural. I believe that you are not using the wisdom that God gives you if you do not know the risks that are involved with every procedure that they might encourage/make you go through in the hospital.

As a believer, I firmly believe that a birth must be bathed in prayer even more than mos any other situation, if you are a believer then it good if you can have a provider that will openly pray with you and for you. Delivering a baby is the biggest workout a women will ever go through in life, it is like running a marathon, and it takes every ounce of strength that she has, then it takes faith to push through when you feel like you can't push any more. If you go into labor believing that it will be easy or getting drugs is an option, you may have a successful birth however it may not be the birth that it could be, and many times not being prepared is the reason for failure to progress of a stalled labor.

I understand that my beliefs on birth are somewhat extreme for some people, but what I want you to understand more than anything else is no matter what rout you choose for having your baby know all sides effects of all procedures that may come up during your delivery and understand the benefits and risks of each of these.

Comments