When you live in the states you go to the store and pick your milk, organic, regular, 1%, 2%, whole milk, raw. Whichever one you choose you know it will be there and if not it will be soon.
Here we get milk from our neighbors, then we pasturize it. This comes with challenges, because cow get sick or the calf got out and drank all the milk, so it is very uncertain if we will have milk in abundance or none.
For the last few weeks the cows around us had mastitis so we were unable to get milk. But now the cows are better and we have an abundance of milk so yesterday was a milk day, so I processed it and put it in the fridge and freezer, I also made yogurt. I would love to make cheese but haven't done that yet.
Why do we pasturize our milk. I love raw milk when I know exactly how the cow is milked and how it is cleaned also how clean is the buckets used for milking, we have watched cows be milked and know that it is not to the standard that we would like. Also the milk last much longer if we pasturize then get it cold as fast as possible, we use gallon glass jars that can be sterilized to help keep the milk from spoiling. Here are pictures of the milk and yogurt process.
My yogurt is a normal easy process, 1 gallon of milk heated to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cooled to 120. I then add 1 cup starter, this can be any plain live culture yogurt. I pour it into jars place in a cooler with a gallon of 120 degree water and let sit for 4 to 6 hours then move to the fridge so easy.
Here we get milk from our neighbors, then we pasturize it. This comes with challenges, because cow get sick or the calf got out and drank all the milk, so it is very uncertain if we will have milk in abundance or none.
For the last few weeks the cows around us had mastitis so we were unable to get milk. But now the cows are better and we have an abundance of milk so yesterday was a milk day, so I processed it and put it in the fridge and freezer, I also made yogurt. I would love to make cheese but haven't done that yet.
Why do we pasturize our milk. I love raw milk when I know exactly how the cow is milked and how it is cleaned also how clean is the buckets used for milking, we have watched cows be milked and know that it is not to the standard that we would like. Also the milk last much longer if we pasturize then get it cold as fast as possible, we use gallon glass jars that can be sterilized to help keep the milk from spoiling. Here are pictures of the milk and yogurt process.
My yogurt is a normal easy process, 1 gallon of milk heated to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cooled to 120. I then add 1 cup starter, this can be any plain live culture yogurt. I pour it into jars place in a cooler with a gallon of 120 degree water and let sit for 4 to 6 hours then move to the fridge so easy.
Disclosure I never clean my stove before milk because I always end up with boil over no matter how careful I am. So I scrub it after I processed the milk.






Comments
Post a Comment